Thursday, August 5, 2010

ABOX FULL OF T-SHIRTS



What do you do with it?  That cub scout shirt with those cute arrows on the pocket, or the T shirt from your child’s first swim meet, or the baseball uniform with your last name ironed on the back?  Add to that the turtleneck that was worn for the second grade school photo, the high school band uniform, years and years of memories just getting wrinkled in a box in the basement, and ranging in size from toddler to teenager - what do you do with it?  Well, when my son married, I thought it was time to do something with the box or just throw its contents away. I opted to do something.  One day I just started to cut pieces apart, to iron stabilizer to the back and start adding fabric to the small pieces that represented his life so far.  I didn’t have a plan.  I wasn’t sure how big the quilt would be when it was finished.  I couldn’t imagine how I could have the cute navy cub scout shirt and the bright 1970’s fluorescent state swim meet shirt near each other - they certainly clashed in the box!  I really had no idea if they could work together on a quilt top. But I just kept sewing and after a few days and a lot of cut-up shirts and boxers (boxers are made of fun prints and great cottons), it came together.  As a bonus, it ended up being the perfect size for a twin bed. 
    That was the first of many “memory quilts”  I have made for family members.  I have enjoyed helping friends, as well.








No comments:

Post a Comment